Hello

Hi.  I'm Cortney.  I have been a fiber artist for about 15 years.  I knit, spin, dye, crochet, sew, embroider, and now weave.  I have wanted to try weaving around the time I started to spin but looked at the price of looms and didn't think about it again until this year.

I received a 24" Ashford Ridge Heddle for Christmas this year and got hooked!  I started casually looking for floor looms on Facebook and planning a savings plan to buy a bigger loom.  I started eyeing the Ashford Jack loom or the 8 heddle table loom.

I was on Facebook this past Sunday and found this.


 This 100+ Union Loom was listed for $135 down to $150 and not anything like the loom I wanted... it is a dirty, rusty oversized ridged heddle.  No, wait I could do more on my RH than I can on this thing.

But, she called to me.  Like had to have it now, called to me.  Around 12am Monday morning I sent the seller a message after debating for hours.  I knew I only had room for one floor loom until the kids are out of the house. Did I want to limit myself to plain weave? Would all her parts be there? I didn't care I had to have it!

I spent the night asking around Facebook weaving groups and doing research on Union Looms.  Most of the responses I got said she wasn't worth the work, it was a mess, wait until I find a used 4 harness....etc until a lovely lady point me to the Union Looms & The People Who Love Them Facebook group. Here the responses were more positive and I could see all the wonderful things people made with their Union Looms.  I went to bed hoping to hear from the seller asap.

I spent the next day looking at my phone every 10 min, doing more research and cleaning my basement.  Around noon I heard from the seller!  It was still available (woohoo)!  I sent my husband and my neighbor to look at it at 5pm that day and a couple hours and $65 (woohoo deal) later I was the proud owner of an Antique Union Loom.

Maybe you are wondering what the point is to this blog and really, aren't blogs dead?  For as available as these looms are there is very little info out there on how to restore them.  So I am going to wing it and take you along for the ride.

Comments